Witch Mountain - Cedar Hill, TX Ghost


Time to time hikers stumble upon the cabin in the woods located off the marked trails in Cedar Hill. The cabin only appears if the apparition of a young girl decides you are worthy of being a victim to the witch of the woods. Some say it's the witch herself disguised as a young girl in distress. 

Doesn't matter what form she takes, as long as you don't follow her into the cabin. If you do make it inside the cabin, then don't expect to come out. No one does.

Agatha lived a life of solitude in the woods. Her husband left her for another woman after many failed attempts at having children. She was alone up until the neighboring townsfolk took it upon themselves to burn down her home with her still inside. People feared her. For no reason other than she let herself go because of the loss of her husband. Rumors spread she was a witch after many of the newborns in town began to die unexpectedly. It was easier to blame the hermit who could not have children for the death of their own. Agatha was no witch, however. Just a misunderstood soul longing for love.  Her final words put a curse on the mountain and swore to take anyone who trespasses on her land to meet a fate as bad as hers. Agatha may not have been a witch up until her death, but afterward was a different story. Something beyond this world heard her cries. It gave her the power to make what she declared become true. She haunts the mountain looking for unsuspecting people foolish enough to stay off the beaten path. 

Locals claim at night you can see faint flickering light up in the mountain. It's believed to be light coming from the witch's cabin. Anyone who knows what happened to Agatha knows it's best to stay inside and not go looking for trouble. 

Cedar Hill 

I have lived close to Cedar Hill all my life. I pass by the Cedar Hill State Park next to Joe Pool Lake almost every day on my way to my girlfriend's house. What I can tell you about the landscape? A ton of trees and hills. Tons of both. When I first read about this story years ago I went looking for more information immediately.

Still not much is known about it. Which leads me to believe that none of it is based on any facts. Shocker. The southwest part of the DFW has plenty of practicing witches and followers of the occult. Those stories are for another time. Witch Mountain is a local legend with nothing to prove there was ever a witch. One backpacker has a story that leaves out important details on where this witch might be. 


There are three possible locations according to the backpacker's story: Cedar Ridge Nature Preserve, Cedar Mountain Nature Preserve, and Cedar Hill State Park.

All three have trails that go deep in the woods. The state park has an old farmhouse that might be the inspiration for this story. I don't think you could see the farmhouse from any nearby roads as some stories suggest you can see light coming from the cabin at night.

What do I think?

I think this might be another case of mistaken identity. Something tells me people made up a story surrounding the old farm inside the state park. The only reason I don't completely call it a hoax is because there are three possible locations. The backpacker never specified which trail. From second-hand knowledge, I can tell you the DFW is full of witches. Rituals could be happening as I type this. The location might be a mix-up but that doesn't discount the possibility of there being a witch.

Either the backpacker's story is a mix of the supposed old farmhouse witch and another trail to make for a compelling story or the farmhouse has nothing to do with any of this and there is a cabin with a witch. I think I am imposing my idea of the farmhouse playing a role in all of this. The farmhouse might be the inspiration for the witch story is my speculation.

That's the issue here. There's not enough backstory.

Doesn't matter. The ghost of a witch doesn't compare to the numerous stories of living witches in the DFW. That's for another post.

What to pair with?

What better drink than some Witches' Brew for this post? Here's the recipe. No need to make a pact with the Dark Lord to make this drink.

Enjoy your drinks with the unknown.

What do you think? Any local legends of ghosts and witches in your hometown? Tell me about them.

Be sure to follow me on social media


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Candy Lady of Terrell, Texas - Urban Legend

My grandparents met a talking dog - Skin-walker in Texas